Ramblings of a Rabbit

[UPDATE: 8.29.2020] The summer has always been my favorite time of the year, mostly because of the availability of a large variety of fresh fruit, vegetables, and herbs.

I have so many childhood memories that lie within the rows of a cherry orchard, a stand of apple trees or stealing the peas from my mother‘s vegetable garden.

Growing up in an area of the world with a lengthy growing season and a desirable climate, fruit farms and ground crops used to be found lining the roads, filling the fields, and trailing up the mountainsides...


Today, vineyards and suburban housing developments take place in many of these areas. 

Today, much of the fruit and vegetables that arrive in our grocery stores and markets are imported from far away countries. 

I often wonder how this all really makes sense. 

Of course, there are certain fruits and veggies that can only be grown in specific areas. 

Importing this produce makes sense! 

Coming from an area as I have though, I find it rather disappointing to be buying imported produce knowing plain well that most of it grows very well right here in our very own backyard. 

Sure, it is really not that big of a deal... 

Why does it matter where the stuff’s grown? 

A potato is a potato, a tomato is a tomato, why does it matter? 

Well, for me it does. 

It is these thoughts that have led me to work so closely with nature and towards a more localized, greener future.

Popular Posts